Welcome to my Reading Nook where I'll blah, blah, blah about what I can't
put down, can't get into, and can't wait to read next!


|  Home  |  Grubbin' Goodness  |  Reading Nook  | 

Monday, March 8, 2010

Reading, reading, reading

I use to love to read. I mean, LOVE it. Then I went and got myself knocked up twice, and my reading material consisted of parenting books. You know the kinds I mean. Books on how to grow a baby, how to lose your baby fat, how to feed a baby/diaper a baby/bathe a baby, how to get a baby to sleep, how to raise a happy baby, how to potty train your child so they don't go to college in diapers, how to, how to, how to! Basically sums up to how to raise a child with damaging them as little as possible! This has been the past 6+ years of reading material (with a little US Weekly and People magazine thrown in for fun). That is until my lovely sister gave me a little book called "Twilight" for my last birthday. I must admit, I really didn't get all the hype and kind of groaned thinking "vampires, reaaaally?" And have you seen how thick that book is?! I'm lucky if I can get through an issue of US without having to wipe someone's bum. I said "thanks" to which my sister called me out on my lack of enthusiasm and reassured me it was "SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD" and that I "HAVE TO READ IT!" Being the good sister that I am, I figured "this is going to take me until Elias is in college, but I'll give it a shot." I started reading, and then something happened. I WAS BITTEN! I was hooked! Man is that Edward dreamy! And Jacob? Fughetaboutit. Not only did I devour the book, but I bought the remaining 3 of the series and read all 4 in under 2 weeks. More like a week and a half. I read every chance I got, and I may or may not have let a poopy diaper simmer a bit. (sorry Bubb!) My hubby looked at me as if I was some sort of alien. He had never seen me read at such a rapid rate and be so completely consumed by a book. I think my brain, and eyes, needed a little rest after such an amazing fete. The past month I've gotten the reading bug again, and I've been loving it. I've been reading about a book a week. This is what I've consumed and my reviews:

A Reliable Wife - Robert Goolrick
This book was a bit darker. I enjoyed the darkness and redeeming qualities of the characters.

The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks
I've seen several movies based on Nicholas Sparks' books, but this is the first I've read. I found it enjoyable. Good easy read.


The Help - Kathyrn Stockett
Go out and buy this book TODAY! I cannot recommend this book more. I LOVED it. This was one I devoured and couldn't get enough of. I was sad when it was over because it was SO good. I found myself laughing so hard I was crying several times. This gets a huge thumbs up. I will definitely be looking for more gems from this author.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards
Reading this after "The Help" was definitely a 180. Whereas "The Help" had me laughing, this story did not. It had a lot of emotional/sad moments. Good read, but more of a heart jerker.

No comments:

Post a Comment